Monday, February 7, 2011

Little Moments

Life is made up of moments that sum up our lives. Sometimes those moments are huge and everyone within a thousand miles notices it. Then there are moments that you and you alone know happened. You never expect any of these moments to happen but once they have it is nearly impossible to look at life without them.

One of these moments happened for me just a few days ago. As most of you know I have 5 wonderful kids I claim as my own. The oldest of the 5 graduated high school early this year. She is an incredible young woman and I can only hope to express how proud I am of her.

Since the latter part of January she has been asking myself and my wife everyday when we come in if we have checked the mail and if there was anything for her. To a point she was almost accusing us of hiding the mail from her. We never did that by the way, but we could tell she was anxious and nervous about something.

This past Friday the weather was rather dreary and cold. The school district had canceled school for the day and we didn't have to get any of the kids up early that day. I have to say it was nice to be able to get up, make coffee, and get back in bed where it's warm. My wife and I were able to work from home on our computers that day. Any other day we get up, get ready, get our putes loaded up and head to our office to work there. Our day was going great, we took care of our social media management duties rather quickly. We spent quality time with our 6th child (our dog) Sabra. Drank plenty of coffee. It was one of those days you just can never get enough of.

Our oldest was doing her typical lazy morning routine and finally came out of her bedroom around lunch. What do you think she asked first? "Did I get any mail today?" It just so happened that I had gone to the store earlier and saw the mailman down the street. Most days she doesn't get to ask this question until late afternoon. Before she could really see straight I was able to tell her that the mail ran and we just need to check it. I don't know if she was still not awake or in shock but needless to say she was a little happy. I got out of bed, put the leash on the doggy and told her I would check the mail while I was taking Sabra out. It might have been me, but it seemed like Sabra was really enjoying being outside that morning.

Envelope in hand addressed to Raven, I walked back inside. I could feel the stare of hopeful and anxious eyes on me. I pretended like nothing new had arrived but she asked as always. Before she could finish asking I motioned like I was gonna throw it at her but I didn't. It was the letter she had been waiting for. She rushed to get it open and read it. Before she could say a word a smile just came over her face. There was no doubt this is what she had been wanting for.  With her mom and myself standing there with her at the kitchen table she just read the first sentence to us. She had been accepted and welcomed to be part of the freshman class at Louisiana Sate University starting in the fall of 2011. How cool is that?!!

Just to let you know, that was about noon on Friday. At that point life just stopped. We just soaked up the moment. Being a part of that moment was just simply amazing. She has worked hard to achieve this and for us to be part of that is something words can not do justice.

Is this a big moment? ABSOLUTELY! It is only one of many more to come for her on this journey. I am just thankful to have been included in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment