Monday, September 6, 2010

Football season is here...........FINALLY!

   This is my favorite time of the year. I enjoy most all sports, but football is at another level. I do have to say I  enjoy college football a little more than the NFL. In my humble opinion, and I do say, in MY opinion, there is a passion involved throughout college football that you can't duplicate at the professional level. The college football fan has more loyalty and love for their school. You can ask any college football fan and they will tell you exactly how good or bad their team is going to be. As they are telling you their thoughts on their team, all you have to do is watch their body language and their passion shows through. I don't care where you are in the world, if there is a college football fanatic near you, you know exactly who they are, what team they love, and  if they won or lost this week. If their team won or lost you can always tell before they say a word. Body language is a dead giveaway. I have no shame in admitting these things describe me to a T.
      I attended the University of Southern Mississippi and I have been and always will be a Golden Eagle. Now I'm sure some of you keep up with college football and know that this past Thursday night the Eagles played at the University of South Carolina and they were defeated quite handily. It pains me to say I watched every second of the game. I wanted to turn off the tv after the first half but I couldn't. Does that make me a glutton for punishment? I don't think so because if it had been USM doing the pounding I wouldn't have turned it off either.
      Growing up in south Mississippi you would think that I would have grown up being a Mississippi State Bulldog or Ole Miss Rebel fan, but to tell you the truth, I don't like either one. Particularly I HATE Ole Miss. I look back at growing up and it seems to me that my hatred for Ole Miss probably comes from how much a large part of my family loved them .Looking back it really is kind of funny. Not one member of my family ever attended Ole Miss and I can't think of one occasion that any of them even ever attended an Ole Miss football game. Maybe it's the fact that Ole Miss stopped playing USM in 1984 because they lost 6 of 8 games played, but I digress lol.
   I will be the first to admit that the conference that USM plays in is definitely not one of the better conferences (Conference USA). The SEC is head and shoulders above any conference in the country. Now with that being said, I do have a favorite team in the SEC. Living most of my life in south Mississippi, and having lived in south Louisiana for over 5 years now, I am a TIGER fan through and through. If you cut me I would bleed purple and gold. Growing up I was always an LSU fan, but I kept up more so with the basketball program.Who can forget Ricky Blanton leading a team of no names to the final four in 86'. My senior year of high school I had a term paper to do for my English class and I chose to write about Pete Maravich. If you don't know about him, just google him. He was the greatest college basketball player in history.......that again is my opinion.
     Ok, now let's get back to football. LSU played their first game of the season Saturday night against the University of North Carolina. The game was played in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia. My wife and I were both extremely anxious for the game.  Yes, she bleeds purple and gold too. I will not go into detail about the game itself. I will just say I'm happy for the win, but am not happy how we played. LOL, I have to point this out because it is just an indication of how much of a fan I am. When I talked about the LSU win, I used the word "we". This shows how we as fans feel about our teams. Our teams become part of us. So now I have a question for all of you reading this. As a football fan you have a passion for your team, do you have that passion for your real life team? If you can honestly say yes than you are my kind of fan. My home team is my favorite team. Til next time......GEAUX TIGERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment